Joint Tenants vs Tenants in Common

March 1, 2021

If you have recently purchased a property or are in the midst of buying your first property with another person, you may have come across the terms “joint tenancy” and “tenants in common”. If you have no idea what we’re talking about, let us break it down for you. Whether you are purchasing a property as a married couple, siblings, or friends, it is important to ensure that the manner in which you own the property is the right one. What are the different types of ownership? In Queensland, when people purchase property together, there are two types of ownership:

  1. Joint tenancy; and
  2. Tenancy in common.

Joint tenancy

Joint tenancy is where all owners have equal ownership and interest in the property and a right of survivorship exists.

The right of survivorship means that when one joint tenant passes away, the interest of the deceased joint tenant is automatically passed to the surviving joint tenant and does not form part of the estate of the deceased.

Tenancy in common

When people own property as tenants in common, it means each person has a recognisable interest in the property, which may not be equal.

For example, one person may own 99% of the interest in the property with the other owning 1%.

Also, the right of survivorship does not exist between the owners. If one of the owners passes away, their interest in the property does not transfer automatically to the remaining owners, but forms part of the deceased person’s estate.

This can be very important particularly if you intend to buy property with friends or siblings.

There are various benefits to each type of ownership, and we recommend speaking with one of our team members before purchasing a property to determine what works best for your situation.

Come in and see us at Chris Sheath & Associates Solicitors on 193 Hume Street, Toowoomba, or call us on 07 4638 5541 to book an appointment.

Latest Blogs

pexels-pixabay-209224

Business Succession Planning

Business succession planning is a crucial aspect of an efficient business operation. A business owner’s calculated exit ensures the owner departs on their own terms and protects their interests, achieving...
head-4983119_1920

How To Stay Level-Headed During Negotiation

It is easier said than done to remain “calm, cool and collected” in a heated situation. When in a tense environment, staying level-headed is often difficult when emotions take control....
pexels-fauxels-3184465 (1)

Win-win Strategies

When one thinks of negotiating, the word “compromise” comes to mind, and most of us typically do not want to make large compromises. If you are someone who likes getting...
BATNA TILE

What you need to know about managing your BATNA

Your Best Alternative to Negotiated Agreement (BATNA), is defined as the most advantageous alternative that a negotiating party can take if negotiations fail and an agreement cannot be made. In...
CSA - Round Square Marketing (60 of 151)

6 Ways to Legally Protect Your Small Business

Have you been looking at ways to legally protect your small business? We have included six simple steps that we would recommend every business owner should follow when starting a...
petsinwills

Pets in Wills

Pets and companion animals are important parts of our lives and family. Did you know that without a relevant Will in place, your final wishes including plans for your pets...
shutterstock_1032685297

How To Prevent Your Will From Being Contested

Over the past five years, we have seen a dramatic increase in the number of wills being contested. Factors contributing to this surge include Australia’s ageing population – with more...
changesinpowerattorny

Changes To The Enduring Power Of Attorney Regime

The Queensland Government is introducing new Enduring Power of Attorney and Advance Health Directive forms from 30th November 2020....
themostimportantadvice

The most important advice you will receive before buying or selling your home

For many of us, the biggest investment we will make will be the purchase of property including our own home....
bindingdeathnomination

Supreme Court of Queensland confirms an attorney can enact a binding death benefit nomination

The Supreme Court of Queensland has recently confirmed the making of a binding death benefit nomination (BDBN) is a financial matter....
blog-doyles

Chris Sheath & Associates listed as recommended Wills, Estates and Succession Planning Law Firm by 2020 Doyle’s Guide.

It seems that for many, deciding on a child’s education or even where to eat dinner is given more critical thinking than...

Talk to us today for sincere and integral legal advice and solutions.